On this page you will find my studio policies and fees.
Lessons are offered in home (dependent on scheduling and travel), at my home, and virtually.
Please inquire about lesson availability and I will do my best to accomodate your scheduling needs!
30 Minute Lessons: $40
45 Minute Lessons: $60
60 Minute Lessons: $80
Payable via Cash, Check, or Venmo at the 1st lesson of the month.
Terms and Conditions
1. TEACHING PHILOSOPHY:
I believe the foundation is key. String musicians need to be set up with an emotional and physical relationship with their instrument from the very first lesson. When students are able to create beautiful sounds with freedom of physical motion, they are more inclined to continue. High expectations, supportive feedback, and growth mindset in a non-judgmental learning environment are key to setting musicians up for success.
I view the Student-Parent-Teacher relationship as integral to the student feeling supported and successful in their instrumental study. Parents support at-home practice, provide their student with encouragement, and communicate any needs the student may have to the teacher. The student is responsible for attending lessons with a positive, open attitude, putting in effort and practice, and communicating their musical interests and needs to the teacher. The teacher is responsible for supporting the student in the development of their technical and musical skill, communicating openly with the student and parent about the progress of the student, while maintaining a positive, supportive, non-judgmental teaching environment that supports student success.
2. PRACTICE EXPECTATIONS:
Students are expected to practice as part of their commitment to instrumental study. As your teacher, we will practice how to practice, and students will be provided with tools and resources that will help organize their practice. Beginners should practice for 10-15 minutes, 5 days a week. Intermediate players should practice 30-45 minutes, 5 days a week. Advanced players should practice 1-2 hours, 5 days a week.
Parent support is integral to maintaining a consistent practice schedule and routine. Please ensure your child has a quiet practice environment, complete with a suitable music stand, a chair of appropriate height (for cellists), and all the materials they will need (practice schedule, sheet music, rosin, etc.)
3. FEES AND PAYMENT:
All lessons must be paid for at the first lesson of the month (see Fees above). You will receive an email from me prior to the beginning of the month to confirm lesson dates, followed by an invoice. Please pay by cash, check (made out to Joshua Garver), or Venmo (@Joshua-Garver-3) at the first lesson.
4. MISSED LESSONS/CANCELLATION POLICY:
Once we have confirmed the lesson dates for the upcoming month, all agreed upon lessons shall be paid for in full. I do not offer refunds for missed lessons, but make-up lessons may be scheduled, subject to my discretion and availability. Please notify me of any needed schedule changes, by text and/or email, at least 24 hours prior to the lesson in question. If I am unavailable to give any scheduled lesson due to illness or other unavoidable circumstance, the lesson will be rescheduled to another agreed-upon date.
5. TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT:
Two week notice of lesson cancellation is required to provide the instructor with ample time to conclude current projects within lessons and prepare the student for what is next for them. The instructor reserves the right to terminate lessons for any reason, including but not limited to: failure to maintain lesson payment, failure to prepare appropriately for lessons, lack of schedule availability and more.
6. THE STUDENT / PARENT / GUARDIAN AGREES TO:
- Purchase or rent a suitable instrument, and insure the instrument if needed. Advice given upon request.
- Find a safe place to keep your instrument; do not store it by a cold air conditioner, a heat source, or in a hot car.
- Keep your instrument in good working order; have a spare set of strings readily available, and rehair your bow every other year.
- Pay for any sheet music, strings, repairs, or other materials required by the Student and provided by the Teacher.
- Replace or reimburse the Teacher for any loaned item that is lost or damaged; return item upon request.
- Be on time and prepared for lessons.
- Inform the Teacher of any relevant medical or other condition affecting the Student that might affect their well-being whilst in the Teacher’s care.
- Ensure a responsible adult is either present at the lesson or contactable via phone for the duration of each lesson.
7. THE TEACHER AGREES TO:
- Teach the above Student at the agreed time and day.
- Plan and organize resources for lessons.
- Adapt lesson resources and tailor teaching methods to the needs of the individual.
- Provide an effective, varied, and enjoyable range of songs and activities to further students’ musical and technical abilities.
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of pedagogy research and resources.
- Maintain a positive, non-judgmental learning environment, emphasizing care and respect.
It is very important to me to keep an open line of communication with parents, and I’m always happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. Because of my teaching schedule, it is usually easiest to contact me by email or text. If you would like to talk on the phone, virtually, or meet in person, let me know via email, and we can set up a time that works for us both.